Historical Studies of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
One of our advisory board members, Deacon Andrei Psarev of Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville, NY, operates the excellent church history website ROCORStudies.org. As the name suggests, the site is devoted to studying the history of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR). Recently, we asked Deacon Andrei to provide a summary of the site for our readers. He offered the following:
Our Website, Historical Studies of the Russian Church Abroad, is a meeting place for people concerned with the past and present of the ROCOR.
- Posted materials are in English and Russian.
LIVES OF BISHOPS
Hitherto unpublished biographies by Michael Woerl and photos of all bishops who served in the ROCOR, however briefly (e.g., Archbishop James Tooms of the American Orthodox Mission)
Serialization of ROCOR history by Dr. Gernot Seide, bios of clergy and laity, canon law issues, relations with non–Orthodox. Your comments are welcome!
Sister Vassa Larin on theology and education, interviews with historians and witnesses to key developments in ROCOR history
Excerpts from liturgical services of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY
Photographs, including archival and rear images, documenting the history of the ROCOR
ARCHBISHOP LEONTII OF CHILE (1904-1971)
Photos and documents pertaining to a man who was a confessor of the faith in the USSR and became a controversial bishop of the ROCOR 1904-1971 in South America
The Web site is updated once a month. Subscribe to our free newsletters!
A variety of opinions is encouraged as long as academic standards are upheld: claims should be supported by evidence and controversial views must be couched in an inoffensive tone.
- Herman, A Wilderness Saint: From Sarov, Russia to Kodiak, Alaska
- Freemasonry in American Orthodox history
- May 1964: A Radical Change in the History of the Russian Church Abroad
- The 1940 Census Release: American History Moves Up a Decade
- Two Memorials served for Colonel Philip Ludwell III – Tuesday March 14/27
- This week in American Orthodox history (March 12-18)
- ROCOR to offer an annual memorial service for Philip Ludwell III
- In Search Of… Fr. Jacob Korchinsky, Missionary and Martyr
- Hierarchical, Congregational, and the problems of the “parish”
- ROCOR/OCA Episcopal Concelebration