Thanksgiving at St. Nicholas Cathedral, 1921
Thanksgiving Day as it is constituted as a civil holiday in the United States (and Canada) is not specifically found on the Orthodox liturgical calendar, but that doesn’t mean that Orthodox Christians in North America have ignored it. Here’s a notice from the New York Tribune for a Thanksgiving Divine Liturgy held at St. Nicholas Cathedral in 1921, celebrated by Archbishop Alexander Nemolovsky and Archimandrite Patrick Mythen.
From all of us here at SOCHA, Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today!
- Group photo from the 1910 Convention of the Russian Orthodox Catholic Mutual Aid Society
- Photo of the week: the monument to Fr. Methodios Kourkoulis
- This week in American Orthodox history (Sept. 10-16)
- Fr. Kyrill Johnson, 1897-1947
- Who are the clergy around St. Raphael’s casket?
- This week in American Orthodox history (March 19-25)
- St. Patrick’s Day with Fr. Patrick Mythen
- This week in American Orthodox history (March 12-18)
- This week in American Orthodox history (February 27-March 4)
- Fr. Ilia Zotikov: A Hieromartyr in a File Drawer